Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Beef, it's what's for dinner! (cue the music)


Yesterday, when I loaded MSN as I often do, I noticed a story on the front page entitled "Too Much Red Meat May Shorten Lifespan." Then, as I'm sitting at home last night and the evening news comes on I hear the anchor say, "Up next, maybe all that red meat isn't good for you after all." Now I thought I should definitely write about this since the media seems to be freaking out about it.


I find it amusing when a "new study" is published that says exactly what wellness professionals have been saying for a long time and the media acts like it's some new revelation. I saw another article on MSN's front page a couple of days ago that said, "New Study Shows Being Overweight Shortens Lifespan." Of course, my first reaction is, "No way!" in the most sarcastic tone possible.


It is true that too much red meat is not that great for your health. Red meat is pro-inflammatory. In my opinion though, the biggest problem with red meat is all the junk they feed to the cows to bulk them up and fight infections. I'm referring to hormones and antibiotics. This could also lead me into my "We are not cows so we should not drink cows' milk" speech, but I'll save it for another day.


Now before we all denounce beef and all the deliciousness it has to offer, hear me out. Beef is very good for you, but like all things, it should be eaten in moderation. We were created as omnivores, which means we are meant to eat plants and animals. Red meat is very nutritious and contains B vitamins that are very difficult to get and absorb from other places. There are also other essential vitamins and minerals in it as well. Please exercise your googling abilities to check for all its components.


Eating a normal portion of red meat 2 or 3 days a week is moderate enough. The healthier the cow was that gave you your meat, the healthier your meat will be for you. Grass-fed beef is very good, only it has a higher price tag. I am also intrigued with why produce and meats that have cost less to produce cost more in the store. Anyways. I hope this has calmed some fears. Just take it easy and you'll be just fine. Throw in some chicken or fish from time to time (not pork).


As always I look forward to your comments...

No comments: